Friday, July 10, 2015

Why do you love soaps?

Remaining network daytime soap operas

If you are a soap opera fan you have likely had at least one conversation with someone who passionately thought soap operas were a complete waste of everyone’s time.  In fact, I would go so far as to say most people who do not watch soap operas or have them in their blood would think Soapers are crazy or worse.

It is always fun educating non-Soapers on the many merits, and sometimes life-altering benefits of soap operas.  Most do not realize, for example, that soap operas play an important role in such things as short-term memory rehabilitation; companionship for the ill, disabled, shut-ins, bedridden, and recently widowed; language skills tutors for stroke victims and second language students; and bringing socially-charged topics into discussion through storytelling.

I love soap operas for all those reasons and more.  They provide a place where you watch a story unfold that provides entertainment and comfort in a familiar setting across decades through good times and difficult ones.

Why do you love soap operas?


#soapopera #soap #soaps #soapoperas #soaper #soapers #soapoperafan #merits #benefits #SoapAssignments 

8 comments:

  1. We live in a fast-paced, gone-in-a-minute world. Soaps give us a much needed moment of pause to connect with families, relationships and histories who have been part of fans' lives for decades, sometimes longer than our real life families. They provide a continuity of life that connects the past to the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Sha_Bu! Well said!

      Delete
  2. I love soap operas because when I sit down to watch one, it is nice to forget the world, and focus on a fictional one. It is also nice to listen to another persons problems that are fictional. I will always love soaps. I LOVE my GH, DAYS, and YR families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Casey! Yes, soaps are great for taking a pause from daily stress and for a little entertainment with the stories, trails, tribulations, and outcomes of fictional characters.

      Delete
  3. Soap operas were one of the first topics I remember having long conversations about with my Grandmother. These people (I know they're not real!) were a part of my life before I could talk and I could count on that stability 5 days a week no matter what else was going on. They brought me comfort,happiness and education while allowing me to laugh, cry and be angry. I know some of these characters better than my own extended family and I grew up with others. When I was upset in the spring of 2011, my husband couldn't understand my grief - until we started talking about some of the WWF wrestlers from his childhood. Then he said "you've 'seen' these people almost every day of your life. Of course you miss them." I loved him so much for understanding.
    They do also give me a break from my real life and it's frustrations. The soaps (and now my soap 'family' of friends) helped me greatly after my mom passed and a local tragedy occurred. While I still miss my mom (and Grandma and Great Grandma...) I think of them fondly when watching soaps today, as they watched before and with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Robynne! Your story is so touching! Thank you for sharing it!

      Delete
  4. And thank you Flo, because I have come to love these forums, discussions, articles, polls and chats about soaps as much as the shows themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete